Insecticon update: (Mike Boynton)

My molds shrunk and I cast the models and the miniatures came out more than a head shorter than before. I knew the shrinkage would not be much so I was not disappointed as all my molds and casts came out well.
I cast up the three molds and used green stuff to fix up the casts minis. I had to mold the originals prone but for the second mold I cut up the 1st casts and placed all three in one mold box to shrink them a second time. I decided to also do Sound Wave’s tape robots as well becuse I would have enough  silicone to make another shrink mold.
My mix was the same as before with 30% mineral spirits. All I need to do is wait seven days for the mineral spirits to evaporate then cast, model, paint and I will be done.
Cheers,
Mike
Advertisements

Insecticons part 2 (Mike Boynton)

I demolded the Insecticons today and it went exceptionally well. It was the best demold I have done in a long time. Now I have to wait seven days for the mineral spirits to evaporate causing the molds to shrink. I might only get 15% shrinkage so I might have to do the process again. I am very impressed with how well this went.
Cheers, Mike

Insecticons part 1 (Mike Boynton)

My student’s grades are in and the school year is over. I started late but I will be making the three Insecticons from Transformers for this year’s project. The Insecticons are smaller than the other Transformers so Im going to shirk down some 1980s Transformers decoy vending toys so they are in scale with the recast decoy Transformers that I have already made over the last school year.
There is a link at the bottom of this post if you want to see my Transformers miniatures
I have been recasting these 80s rubber decoy figures and placing them in dynamic stances and customizing them with some kit bashing. I’m basically taking a one part rubber vending toy and turning it into a multiple part pro mini resin kit.
My plan is to mix oderless mineral spirits with silicone to make the silicone shrink down as the mineral spirits evaporate. I have done lots of casting but I have not done this shrink technique before so this is new for me.
Today I used hot glue to glue the rubber decoy figures prone in containers thinking this was the best way to cast them in a one part mold. I was told that doing this with a two part mold is difficult as the two parts may shrink at different rates and not match up for casting. I used 30% mineral spirits in my mix and filled up the three containers. Evidently the molds will take seven days to shrink. I will get back to you about the results then.
Cheers, Mike

Acid Storm & Soundwave (Mike Boynton)

(Ed note, due to the time difference between the UK and the US, Mikes post arrived within the deadline, but I was in bed at the time. I’m dedicated… but not that dedicated!)

Here are some finished shots of Acid Storm. I ended up making a Soundwave figure also. I took five bad old castings and was able to get one good figure out of the parts. I think these Transformers figures have turned out nice. I have added some custom Decals to them as well. I hope to have more pictures of them up on my Flicker account soon, till then please enjoy the photo’s below.

And one of the pair.

Thanks Mike.

Transformers Miniatures Boynton Decoy

An “Acid” Storm Brewing (Mike Boynton)

I thought I would send in an update on my Acid Storm miniature. I have given him a green wash so I can see imperfections in the casting. I then filled major problems with milliput putty. I like to have some of the original problems show to look like blast damage. Im working on repositioning the left arm and I have replaced the hands with 40K Space Marine hands. Acid Storm is holding an acid grenade! Next, I will paint the real base color on. I will also make a crazy base for him and pro paint him soon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/boyntonartstudio/albums

Acid Storm Update (Mike Boynton)

I just got a prefect cast to make my Acid Storm Decepticon robot jet miniature. I was thinking of wimping out on forgotten heroes as I have so much going on but I just went out in the studio and used an old Star Scream transformers decoy mold that I thought was bad and cast up a perfect Acid Storm body! So Acid Storm is on his way.

The 25mm sized Transformers rubber decoy figuers originally came with the transformers toy figures in the 80’s. They are rubber and are decaying due to age. I’m recasting them for myself and adding hands and changing the poses and characters as in this case.

Cheers,
Mike Boynton

Acid Storm (MIke Boynton)

Hi all,
This year I will be doing the little known Transformer Decepticon jet robot named Acid Storm. 
This is his wiki bio: Despite his intelligence, data gathering skills, and potential charisma, Acid Storm prefers to wallow in anonymity as just one of the Rainmakers, a cadre of specialized Seekers who have the capability to manipulate localized weather patterns to create acid rain.
I will make him by recasting one of the 80’s miniature rubber transformers decoy figures. I think the one I’m using for the master copy is a Star Scream. I will cast the old figure repose it, add new hands and a new Acid Storm paint job as well as a cool acid damaged base. Included are photos of A.S. and a character named Sunstorm that I previously made using this method. 
Cheers,
Mike Boynton